Tuesday, January 29, 2008

My First Car Purchase-2008 Toyota Prius

So i have actually never owned a car before. Ever since leaving college i have had a company car and therefore after leaving the corporate world i had to figure out all the nuances of buying a car. I did my due diligence and read my Consumer Reports magazines and asked most of my friends about their suggestions on financing, new or used, cars, and dealerships. My last car with Ortho-McNeil Pharmaceuticals was a 2006 Toyota Prius. Our company had a Green Initiative that if you were interested in a Prius you could order it at any moment because they were trying to have a certain amount of hybrids in our fleet. Normally the process was having your car for two years or 55,000 miles, whichever came first. After attending Sundance Film Festival and being at the premier of the movie "An Inconvenient Truth" with Al Gore i decided to give up my 2005 Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan for the Prius. I loved it and was doing my part for the environment at the same time. After leaving it was an easy decision to just get another one. This time with a few more perks than the stock model we get for work. I decided on a Black Package #6 model that includes leather, bluetooth, smart key system, ipod auxilary jack, backup camera, and navigation. After calling around and talking to a few dealerships i settled with family owned Walnut Creek Toyota. JD, the saleman, said he had one just arrive at the docks and it would be a few days. I said i was returning my rental car tomorrow after having it for a week and did not want to have to renew the rental agreement. He said he would be happy to put me in a loaner til my car arrived. Sold!

I drove the rental car back to the Oakland Airport first thing in the morning and caught BART back to Walnut Creek and walked over to the dealership. The process was pretty simple since we had agreed on a price over the phone so i just filled out the paperwork and they put me in a Toyota Corolla for the week. I drove off anxiously awaiting my new 2008 Toyota Prius.

No comments: