Friday, March 28, 2008

Sandy Puc's Bellies & Babies Workshop

Last night i attended Sandy Puc's Bellies & Babies Workshop in Foster City, CA. I was joined by my friend Tamee Renae and come to find out a ton of my fellow members from NCPP. I was looking forward to seeing Sandy in action since i had seen her in some of my Photovision Educational DVD's in the past and was attracted to her work. I wanted to learn more about shooting babies and how she markets that business since many of my friends are now having babies and calling me up for images.

Sam (a nickname her Dad gave her that stuck) runs a very successful studio in Littleton, CO named Expression Photography. She also started the non-profit Now i Lay Me Down to Sleep a few years ago which has about 4,000 photographer from around the US participating in it. NILMDTS provides bereavement photography to parents suffering the loss of a baby and to help them in their healing journey. I put in my application a couple weeks ago once my website was up and running and still waiting to hear from them.

Sam spoke for over 4 hours and shared with us an amazing amount of information and more specifically how to build a profitable Baby Plan, Posing Techniques, Marketing, Community Exposure, and much more. First thing i realized was that studio lighting was not that complex. Sam uses mainly two sets of lights from Larson Enterprises which she demonstrated how to use on stage. I came out of the talk wanting to buy some studio lights, getting rid of all the furniture in my living room and doing what she does everyday in my home. She actually started the same way and was telling us how she had to back up all the way into one of her bathrooms and i think standing in the bathtub to get enough space to shoot with a long lens. Once i get my wedding business going consistently i think i might just invest in some lighting and start playing with what i learned. Thanks Sam for an excellent workshop.

Here are some fun images that my friend Laura Cottril took when Sam asked me to pose to check her camera settings during a break before the next demonstration.

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

4 comments:

kennykimdotcom said...

you'll be a good father someday. see you tomorrow

Sam's World said...

Gustavo, thank you so much for the kind words!
I had a really great time teaching and you made a lovely model!
Wishing you the best that life has to offer!
Happiness,
Sam

ed pingol said...

this is awesome! smart, man. this is a great investment in SO many ways.

//ed

Anonymous said...

Gustavo,

It's great to have you on the Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep Team!

Deb Wat