Wednesday, July 9, 2008

HOG FOR KIDS:Day 7-Phoenix, AZ to Albuquerque, NM

HOG FOR KIDS:Day 7-Phoenix, AZ to Albuquerque, NM

AZ to NM

I soaked my shirt in cold water, put my jacket on and was off in 100 degree plus weather heading north towards Flagstaff. It's amazing what riding 100 miles north does to the scenery. Changed from cacti to pine trees. On my first stop for gas i reached over to unhook the hose for the water bladder from my jacket and did not find it. I immediately looked back and saw she was a goner! Learned my lesson, must strap everything down individually and not just under the cargo net. A few hours later after cruising at a pretty good clip (Speed Limit here was 75) the bike started to loose power. I glanced down and saw that my mileage from when i filled up the tank was at 174 miles. The tank takes about 5 gallons of gas and i usually get a little over 180 mile per tank. I immediately realized that since i was going 85 mph that gas consumption was a little higher. While still riding and loosing speed fast i reached down and turned the gas switch to reserve and she purred back to life. Luckily there was a gas station up ahead. Not sure how far it will go on reserve.

What's missing from this picture?
IMG_0909.JPG

Where my water bladder used to live before she flew off into highway freedom...
IMG_0912.JPG

From dessert shrubs...
IMG_0916.JPG

...to pine trees.
IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0923.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG

I love these signs! 75MPH...
IMG_0929.JPG

Missed this rainstorm, looked like it was dumping out there...
IMG_0933.JPG

These are the vents on my jacket, they work like a charm. In the front and out two vents in the back.
IMG_0937.JPG

Gotta love truck stops for easy entertainment, a couple of my favs below.
IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

Met a couple of cool guys!
IMG_0958.JPG

IMG_0954.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0968.JPG

New Mexico Vistas!
IMG_0977.JPG

Total Mileage: 457
Total Time: 8 HRS

2 comments:

Chung Nguyen said...

I am so living vicariously through your AWESOME trip. Ride on!

Catie said...

You're a true road warrior! I love the cloud pictures :) Looks like it was an amazing trip!